Mediterranean Stuffed Tomatoes
Mediterranean Tomatoes Stuffed with Rice are my favorite hearty side dish recipe or healthy vegetarian main. They can be made either vegan or vegetarian and are absolutely bursting with flavor. Don’t be intimidated by the long list of ingredients, these stuffed tomatoes come together very easily!
A thank you to Kristen from The Endless Meal for this delicious and healthy recipe using Floating Leaf’s Crimson Red Lentil, Wild Rice and Quinoa blend.
I’ve made us tomatoes stuffed with rice! But not just rice, cause that wouldn’t be worth all the exclamation marks I’m about to use.
This is a stuffed tomato recipe that is easy to make, delicious, and healthy. All our favorite things!
Why these Mediterranean Tomatoes Stuffed with Rice are so amazing:
- My newly discovered and much loved rice blend (Prairie Blends by Floating Leaf – more on that topic momentarily.)
- Creamy toasted pine nuts. Or cashews. Or crunchy almonds. You do what you have in your pantry.
- Salty green olives. (technically only mandatory if you love olives.)
- Chopped dates for a tiny bit of sweetness.
- Feta cheese or nutritional yeast – depending on your mood or what you love to eat. I’ve opted for both more than once.
- Sauteed onions and garlic. Because hello, life.
- All these delicious flavors nestled inside roasted stuffed tomatoes. Call them Mediterranean Stuffed Tomatoes or Greek Stuffed Tomatoes, or Italian Stuffed Tomatoes with Rice or simply The Best Dang Stuffed Tomato Recipe Ever.
So guys, this rice. As you might have noticed, there is a serious lack of rice recipes on the blog. Now that I’ve found a rice blend that I totally LOVE, expect to see a whole lot of rice popping up around here.
I normally don’t eat a lot of rice, so when I do, it means it must be really special. #truthFloating Leaf makes three rice blends they call Prairie Blends. The one I’ve used to make these stuffed tomatoes is their Sprouted Crimson Lentils, Wild Rice, and Quinoa Blend.
The healthy, whole grains make a delicious plant-based side dish all on their own. Mix the Prairie Blend with Mediterranean flavors, stuff it inside juicy tomatoes, then roast them in the oven and magic happens.
Healthy bonus …
- Floating Leaf’s Prairie Blends are a great way to add plant-based protein to your meal.
- They’re gluten-free so perfect if you’re celiac or sensitive to gluten.
- Whole grains = nutritious!
- They make creating healthy, flexitarian meals super simple!
I love meals (like these stuffed tomatoes!) that give me a break between the hands on cooking time and the time we sit down to eat. It’s the perfect opportunity to pour a glass of wine/clean up the kitchen/relax with my family before dinner.
This recipe uses Floating Leaf’s Prairie Blends. We recommend using either the Sprouted Brown Rice, Split Pea and Quinoa, or the Sprouted Crimson Lentils, Wild Rice and Quinoa in this dish. Our products are available online, and also at the following grocers. Be sure to check out our wild rice, our grain and legume blends, and our gluten free rice pasta and pancake mixes!